I’ve been thinking about purchasing an outdoor patio heater ever since we built our new deck a couple of years ago.
- Local stores that specialized in outdoor heaters and barbecues
- Local hardware stores like Home Depot, Lowe’s and Rona
- Visiting sites online that sold outdoor heaters
What to consider when purchasing a new patio heater
- One of the biggest things to consider is price. I noticed a few different price points. They start around $150, the mid-rand is around $300 and the high-end is around $500. These price might be slightly different in your area, but you get the idea. And like anything you can get more expensive than this if you want to
- Can you get spare parts and get it repaired if something goes wrong. I found this was only possible with the high-end models. So this is something to consider.
- The biggest issue with patios heaters is that something gets into the burner area and the tube gets plugged. For some reason spiders like the smell of propane and they like to crawl into this area.
- Originally, I was going to get a natural gas model and then plug it into a gas connection on the outside of the wall. This will save a lot of time replacing propane tanks. In the end I decided to go with a propane model so that I could move it around on our deck. This turned out to be a good idea. Are new deck is big and we have an area for eating and just sitting around. I can move it between the two areas depending on what we are doing.
- If you are going to move it around, make sure you get one with wheels. This makes it really easy move and it will be easier on your deck or patio instead of dragging or rolling it. They can be pretty heavy with a full propane tank.
- If you do go with a model that uses a propane tank, don’t forget you will need to purchase this. About another $40.00.
Which heater did I purchase and why:
- I thought the price was reasonable and affordable.
- I purchased it from Home Depot and I’ve always been happy with their service and return policy.
- 46,000 BTUs is a lot hotter than the lower price model and very close to the high-end heaters.
- The brown wicker matches our wicker furniture.
- Better quality than the lower end models.